The pack includes practice materials for the following sections:
- Force and Moment
- Cogwheels, Wheels, Pulleys and Levers
- Acoustics & Optics
Tests: 14 Questions: 142
The Ultimate Guide to Passing the Ramsay Mechanical Aptitude Test
If you are looking to start a career in the mechanical and technical job-scape, you should prepare yourself for the Ramsay pre-employment evaluations and assessments that you will be required to take.
While most careers will require personality and situational assessments, mechanical and technical fields use a more specific form of evaluation called a mechanical aptitude/ comprehension test.
There are a large number of these evaluations for companies to choose from, but one of the more common test is by the Ramsay Corporation.
What is the Ramsay Mechanical Aptitude Test?
The Ramsay Corporation’s mechanical aptitude test (MAT) is one of the quickest mechanical comprehension tests, coming in at a short 20-minutes long. The test uses illustrated questions to determine a person’s ability to learn and understand necessary functions for careers involving production, mechanical maintenance, and more.
The test was developed in 2004 as a way to measure mechanical aptitude at the entry level. This form of pre-employment testing is vital for helping overcome gender, education, and racial bias in the hiring process.
The questions were heavily developed to ensure that all subject matter is based on common knowledge and not subjects or objects that require specialized knowledge to understand.
The Ramsay test is so well known that it is used by major US employers like Amazon, Walmart, Coca Cola, and GM.
Ramsay MAT Example Questions:
- You pour 6 ml of oil into a beaker containing 6ml of water. Which picture shows how the oil and water will settle into the beaker?
2. Question: You cook both food items in a microwave for 3 minutes. Which of the two items will be hottest after cooking?
C: They will be the Same Temperature
3. Based on the image, which is heavier? (Choose C if Equal)
What is the Ramsay MecTest and Ramsay MultiCrafTest?
While the Ramsay MAT is a common form of evaluation for entry-level positions, some journey-level positions may require a longer and more difficult exam. Two of these exams are the MecTest and the MultiCrafTest.
The MecTest focuses on mechanical maintenance and does not include any electrical concepts, whereas the MultiCrafTest is the highest-level evaluation and does include electrical concepts.
Both higher level tests have 60 questions and require more than mechanical aptitude. However, the increased difficulty is paired with the removal of a testing time-limit.
What Format does the Ramsay MAT use?
The Ramsay Mechanical Aptitude Test is a multiple-choice exam with illustrated questions. The test is 20-minutes long and has 36 questions. The test categories range from household objects to production and maintenance, science and physics, and hand and power tools.
The illustrations are kept as basic as possible to help test-takers focus more on the question and less on the meaning of the pictures and drawings. Here are a few samples of the types of questions you may find on the Ramsay Mechanical Aptitude Test.
What Score Do I Need to Pass the Ramsay MAT?
Making a good score on your Ramsay MAT is important to ensure your advancement in the hiring process. So, what does a good Ramsay MAT score look like?
Here is an example of a Ramsay score sheet:
100 percent is the best score, and the closer you get to a raw perfect score, the better. However, the score sheet also includes information on your raw score for subcategories and compares your knowledge and skills to those locally as well as nationally.
These score comparisons can give employers insight into where you stand relative to other people, which can benefit you. If you only score an 80 percent, but the local test takers average closer to 75 percent, you score is still better in comparison to others, which is what employers are looking for.
5 Tips for Passing the Ramsay MAT
When it comes to pre-employment evaluations, there are a few general tips that can help you no matter what test you are taking. These five tips are not only a great way to improve your odds of passing the Ramsay Mechanical Aptitude Test, but can help you pass a large range of pre-employment assessments.
- Don’t waste too much time on one question: Most pre-employment assessments are timed. While it is important to try and answer questions correctly, if you waste too much time on one question you might run out of time before having the opportunity to answer every question on the test.
- Avoiding guessing: If you are completely stumped on a question, try your best to infer a correct answer through reasoning. Take a look at the image or question and try to relate the problem to real life situations with which you are familiar. For instance, in the fulcrum question above, you might think of a seesaw on the playground and use personal experience to make an informed choice.
- Give yourself time: Sure, the test is time already, but often times at-home test-takers don’t think about the time commitment before beginning their assessment. Suddenly, you might need to step away to take a phone call, change a diaper, or make an appointment. However, many pre-assessment tests don’t allow you to leave the test and return, which can cause you to fail the assessment due to incomplete answers. So, before beginning your test, make sure you have enough uninterrupted time to complete it.
- Relax: If you are testing at home, give yourself a relaxing environment in which to work. Turn off your tv, lower the lights, and take a few breaths. Starting your exam with a relaxed mindset can help improve your test results. If you are testing on-location, you can still implement relaxation practices through thoughtful breathing and self-affirmation.
- Prepare: Going hand-in-hand with relaxation is preparation. That’s because being prepared gives you a boost in confidence that can help you truly relax when starting your test. Preparation involves discovering which aptitude test you are taking and properly practicing the content to ensure you have all the skills and knowledge necessary to pass.
How to Properly Prepare for The Ramsay Mechanical Aptitude Test
There are a lot of places online that offer practice tests for mechanical aptitude and comprehension, but it is important to make sure you are getting the most current, accurate, and professional practice curriculum available.
At JobAssessmentHelp, we have a wide selection of pre-employment assessment bundles to help you land the job of your dreams. Our Mechanical Aptitude Test Bundle contains 14 tests and over 140 unique questions.
In combination with our expertly curated lecture material, our practice bundle cannot only help you ace your Ramsay MAT, but any other Mechanical Comprehension Test you may encounter.
Does your company require a mechanical evaluation and a personality and situation assessment? At JobAssessmentHelp, we have practice bundles for all your pre-assessment needs.
If you are ready to completely prepare yourself for any pre-employment test, check out JobAssessmentHelp today.