Abstract Reasoning and Diagrammatic Reasoning are different names for these same tests.
The pack includes:
- Study Guide
- Inductive & Abstract Reasoning Tests
- Deductive Reasoning Tests
- Mixed Logical Reasoning Tests
- Spatial Reasoning Tests – Bonus!
What Are Logical Reasoning Tests?
A logical reasoning test is a psychometric test conducted as a part of the recruitment process of an organization. All employers are believed to employ this aptitude test, among many others, before an applicant can be recruited into service. The word ‘psychometric’ is otherwise saying the evaluation of the mental health ability. This test evaluates an applicant’s ability to figure out the most suitable solution to a problem. A logical reasoning test is widely seen as one of the most difficult an applicant can undergo.
These tests are not designed to test your verbal or numerical reasoning skills. They are created to assess the ability of an applicant to observe and interpret patterns, shapes, and numbers. Although there are schools that hone your logical reasoning skills, it is important to know that a logical reasoning test is mainly to test your intuition and thinking ability as a person rather than a check on what you have learned in schools. Again, this does not mean that formal education has no effects on logical reasoning. Rather, what is meant is that a logical reasoning test is mainly to test your innate ability as a person.
Forms of Logical Reasoning Tests
There are two major forms of logical reasoning tests:
- The Diagrammatic Logical Reasoning test: This is the most common type of logical reasoning test. This type requires applicants to observe a pictorial or diagrammatic representation of data, recognize the patterns and then figure out which shape does not follow the stated guidelines. The variations to the diagrams can be in shape gradient, shape orientation, shape color, shape size, shape outlay, shape dimension, and other additional information that may be relevant to the characteristics of the shapes.
- The Verbal Logical Reasoning Test: These are based on short passages called stimuli. These passages contain information that applicants are expected to read, peruse, understand, and then select the most accurate statement among a host of others. A stimulus is formatted as an argument, that is, a conclusion already reached through evidence. To understand and solve problems on the stimulus, you must first critically analyze it and understand its argument. Verbal logical tests can be based on assumption, inference, strengthening, weakening, and parallel logic. Each is taken in order to assess your ability to analyze, evaluate, interpret, manipulate, and reach decisions from an argument.
What Is The Relevance of Logical Reasoning Tests?
A logical reasoning test, as mentioned before, serves to test the ability of a candidate to think and react critically. Thus, this test helps companies to have an insight into your intuitive brilliance, intelligence quotient, and determine if you can fill certain critical roles. Such roles may be the head of the marketing department, the developer of new products, managers or a market analyst. These jobs require individuals who have the abilities to observe trends, identify the rules driving these trends and then use their observations to stay ahead of unforeseen circumstances.
Types of Logical Reasoning Tests Providers
Logical reasoning tests are grouped into 3. They are:
- Kenexa Logical Reasoning: This test type provides candidates with an incomplete image series and 5 options from which they are required to select the right one to complete the series. The Kenexa logical reasoning test is very similar to the SHL inductive reasoning test. Usually, candidates are expected to answer 24 questions in 20 minutes.
- Ravens Progressive Matrices: The Ravens Progressive Matrices involve symbols in a grid-block with each possessing its unique pattern. This test type has two levels: one, the standard level that contains 23 questions to be answered in 47 minutes; and two, the advanced level that contains 23 questions to be answered in 42 minutes.
- Talent Q Element Logical Ability: In a bid to quickly ascertain your logical reasoning level, the Talent Q Element is adaptive. That means that questions become harder with each progressive stage. Normally, this test type contains 12 questions that are to be answered in 15 minutes.
Types of Logical Reasoning
There are four key types of logical reasoning: inductive, deductive, abstract, and spatial.
- Inductive reasoning starts with some limited observations and information and draws the most likely conclusion possible.
- Deductive reasoning starts with a general statement and sorts through possibilities to find a specific and logical conclusion.
- Abstract reasoning focuses on ability to identify trends, logical rules, or differences in patterns. You’ll see this section on all different kids of job assessment tests and are looking for how you interpret situations and patterns.
- Spatial reasoning is similar to abstract reasoning but focuses almost exclusively on pictures rather than words or numbers to ask questions.
Having Your Logical Reasoning Test Practice
Always note that a logical test tests your analytical and critical abilities more than it does your knowledge. Having that in mind, here are some sure tips to follow so as to ace your logical reasoning test and land that dream job of yours.
- Know The Question Type: Although logical reasoning tests have the same aim, there are slight variations among them owing to the fact that the writers differ. As mentioned before, the writers may be Kenexa, Ravens or Talent Q. You are strongly advised to know the writer that your prospective employers go with. You have the privilege of asking the human resources department. Knowing the exact writer will make the actual test considerably easy for you due to the fact that you would have been completely familiar with the types of questions to expect.
- Obtain all necessary information on the test: As an applicant hoping to excel in your logical reasoning test, you should be aware of the various test segments that you will come across in the test. Each section contains a number of particular questions. These sections may be diagrammatic, inductive, verbal and many others. We recommend that you are familiar with all these sections and that you spend surplus time practicing each of them. Do not ignore any section in your practice questions. If at any time you need more information or clarification, you can communicate with the company’s medium. You can also ask for a sample test so as to be fully prepared for whatever the firm brings forward.
- Effective Timing: A lot of candidates fail to scale this hurdle due to their inability to manage their time properly. There may even be applicants who have a better understanding of the test questions but are unable to maximize their use of the allotted timeframe. The time allocated to a logical reasoning test is limited and you are expected to be efficient and fast in your use of the time given.
The best technique is to divide the allowed time by the number of questions. For instance, if you are given 30 minutes for 20 questions, you are to divide 30 by 20 and solve each problem with the result with respect to minutes. It is advisable to have solved all problems with at least 5 minutes left. This is so you can crosscheck your answers to see if they are correct. It is important to know that effective timing starts right from your practices. Set the actual test minutes for your practice sessions and strive to see that you finish on time and at the same time, develop a keen sense of accuracy.
- Practice: Without a doubt, this is the most important prerequisite for passing your logical reasoning test. Gather past questions, obtain samples, identify the creator of the test you’re to take, create a real exam environment, maintain a fixed time, strategize how to answer questions, hone your ability to answer questions faster and learn to obtain answers before reviewing given options. Constant practice will help you identify your weaknesses and turn them into strengths. When you practice regularly, you can measure your performance and improve on it with each new session.
Score Excellent Marks With Exclusive Practice Tests
Exclusive practice tests contain the most likely test questions you’ll come across in your test as well as the answer to them. They offer a comprehensive format for acing your test, regardless of your test provider or level.
Realizing the importance of a truly genuine practice pack, we have to offer specialized practice questions that are fully answered. These packs are cheap and very effective. We assure you of astonishing results with them.