Abstract Reasoning and Diagrammatic Reasoning are different names for these same tests.
The pack includes:
- Study Guide
- Inductive Reasoning Tests
- Deductive Reasoning Tests
- Mixed Logical Reasoning Tests
What Is an Inductive Reasoning Test?
An inductive reasoning test is a part of the numerous psychometric tests a job applicant has to take before he can be hired. By “psychometric”, what is meant is that the test tests the mental health of an applicant before he can be employed. The inductive reasoning test is conducted so as to evaluate the rationality of a candidate. The test aims to measure your ability to recognize and study patterns. With an inductive reasoning test, important questions such as “can you identify patterns in a sequence?” and “can you predict the variables of a sequence?” are adequately fulfilled.
Inductive reasoning tests, like all other psychometric tests, serve as a means of checking your overall intelligence and judgmental sense. The test presents applicants with picture or number series which requires them to detect the pattern at play and use the knowledge to predict the next item in the series. These tests reflect the ability of a candidate to be critical, analytical and efficient in thinking when facing unfamiliar situations. An inductive reasoning test is closely fused with other psychometric tests and many firms conduct only one of them most times. Inductive reasoning tests help to figure out the right candidates for certain exceptional roles in the firm. An example of such roles is a marketing consultant.
Relevance Of Inductive Reasoning Tests
Inductive reasoning tests enable employers to measure your ability to reason logically in order to solve problems. The main aim of employers after the test is to select the candidate whose decisional intuition is very brilliant. This is easily determined because the test requires candidates to work with newly found information and create effective solutions.
An inductive reasoning test serves as a determinant of your creativity, critical observation skills, analytical skills, and problem-solving initiative. The test helps employers to fill the round roles with round pegs. These roles are often roles that concern technicalities, constantly solve problems, and identify new trends in the marketing community.
Formats For Inductive Reasoning Tests
There are many styles of the inductive reasoning test and it is wise to be familiar with all of them. However, it should be noted that they all have very similar frames and their aims remain the same. They are:
- SHL Logical reasoning: The most common type of questions in this format is the Next-in-series. A series of images, numbers or shapes are presented with an underlying pattern which is up to the candidate to figure out and then select the next variable in the series out of the given options.
- Cut-e discovering rules: Also called ‘scales ix’, this format deals with figures. There are usually 20 minutes to answer in 5 minutes with each question containing a series of figures. Each series has an odd figure and it is the responsibility of the candidate to figure out the pattern and identify the odd figure.
- Kenexa logical reasoning: Kenexa is an arm of IBM. This format presents shape sequences that require candidates to find the missing pattern and predict the next image in the sequence.
- Saville abstract reasoning: This format may appear similar to CEB tests. In this format, shapes are presented in matrices or rows. These sequences have ordering patterns that have to be figured out by applicants who, having done that, are tasked with filling the missing shape in the middle or end. The test takes 6 minutes for its swift version and 16 minutes for its long version.
- Talent Q logical reasoning: This test format presents an incomplete matrix filled with shapes and ask candidates to figure out the pattern so as to fill the missing links. The shapes are bound by a logic from left to right and top to bottom.
Tips for Passing Your Inductive Reasoning Tests
We have compiled some sure tips for passing your inductive reasoning test. With adherence to these simple tips, you are sure to ace your test. These tips are:
- Be calm: This may be easier said than done but it is an extremely important tip. Losing your calm during a test will ruffle your focus consequently ruining your concentration and damaging all chances you have of performing well at all. A particular cause of this disturbance is traceable to the limited timeframe. It is advisable to take plenty of rest before the test so you can be relaxed during the test. We advise that you constantly try to keep your emotions under check. Remember, loss of concentration ruins it all.
- Look at a feature at a time: A lot of images can be overwhelming especially to an inexperienced candidate. Now, if there’s any state you are want to avoid, it is being overwhelmed. Studies have shown that the cause of this is employing a whole approach to assessing the images. It is advisable that you consider the specifications of the images one at a time to avoid being lost and confused. The orientation, gradient, size, color and, the shape should all be evaluated one after the other. Always keep in mind that the images are intentionally designed to be ornate and confusing. You can become an expert in this aspect by looking at a lot of inductive reasoning examples.
- Practice as much as possible: Now, this is an apparently vital tip. Lack of practice will leave you inexperienced, lacking in confidence and scared ahead of the test. The same goes for inadequate practice. We recommend intense inductive reasoning practice daily. You can request samples from the firm. Likewise, you can get free inductive reasoning practice test examples with answers from the internet. It does not matter the source. What we are after is a lot of practice. Have practice sessions daily under real-time exam situations. This will make you fully confident, prepared, and optimistic.
- Be conscious of your time: The time factor is without a doubt very relevant. A slow applicant will most likely have nothing to show after the test. Most of the inductive reasoning tests last for 40 minutes. Depending on the level of preparation and speed, the minutes can be more than enough for some while at the same time, insufficient for others. Your management of time matters a lot. We would advise that you begin the conscious use of your time right from your practice sessions. Ensure that you stick to the actual timing for the test in your practice sessions. This will prepare you for the wise use of your time. We suggest that you answer all questions with at least 7 minutes to go so you can crosscheck your answers. It is pertinent to note here that speed matters but accuracy matters a lot too.
- Change your approach when stuck: Perhaps you get hooked when trying to solve a question, we suggest that you change your outlook on it. If you can’t get it right when you begin from the top, then you may have to begin from the bottom. We have to mention here that you should never waste your time on a question. The 5 minutes you spend when stuck on a question can be used to answer at least 5 questions. You can always revisit an unsolved problem after solving others.
Inductive Reasoning Vs. Deductive Reasoning
Reasoning is a big part of job assessment tests and has a huge impact on how well you’ll do. But there are two different kinds of reasoning: inductive and deductive.
Inductive reasoning finds the most likely although not certain conclusion from limited observations. Data exists and conclusions are drawn from it that make sense with the information given.
Deductive reasoning starts with a general statement and then sorts through possibilities to find a specific and very logical conclusion.
Hit Maximum Scores With Tailored Preparation Materials
Practice better with specially designed preparation materials and hit maximum marks. Written by knowledgeable professionals who totally know their onions, these materials contain acute inductive reasoning test questions with answers.
Our team offers specialized preparation materials. These materials have been tested and trusted by several users and you can be just the next successful person. The choice lies in your hands. To get these materials, contact us.