Abstract Reasoning and Diagrammatic Reasoning are different names for these same tests.
The pack includes:
- Study Guide
- Inductive Reasoning Tests
- Deductive Reasoning Tests
- Mixed Logical Reasoning Tests
What Is an Abstract Reasoning Exam?
An abstract reasoning test is an aptitude test conducted to assess the ability of a candidate to think rationally. That is, an abstract reasoning test serves as a determinant of logical thinking in an applicant. This test is a psychometric test. That is, it measures the mental health and wellbeing. Many believe that this test is very complex due to the trickery it poses to the human mind. The abstract test is also known as the conceptual test.
It is often said that wisdom is the application of knowledge. If so, then an abstract reasoning test is a check on the wisdom of an applicant. In this test type, candidates have to formulate analogies and find solutions to some specific sets of problems. This test aims to evaluate the intelligence quotient (IQ) as well as the critical reasoning capacity of an individual. Abstract reasoning questions are very much alike to logical reasoning questions. In fact, some organizations substitute one for the other while some merely fuse the two tests into one. This test serves as an indicator of your aptness to adapt to new situations, acquire new skills, and provide solutions to problems.
Types Of Abstract Reasoning Tests
Basically, abstract reasoning test questions can come in four forms. These four have slight distinctive features but their aim and purpose of conduction remain the same. These question types are:
1. Odd One Out
This question type requires a candidate to figure out the shape that does not belong to the given group. The criteria to be in this group may be the orientation, size, color, dimension or anything at all. The odd one out helps an employer to determine your ability to assess a situation and filter the relevant factors.
The matrix question type is represented as a group of different images that follow a particular pattern. This test requires the candidate to first understand the pattern and then decode the image that is supposed to be next in the group. The matrices test type will help to evaluate your ability to examine a situation and act on the observed results.
The analogy question type presents the candidate with two pairs of images – one pair complete, the other pair incomplete. These pairs are similar in patterns but contain minor differences. It is now the duty of the candidate to be cognitive of the similarities and use the pattern to complete the other pair. This question type will help to see the ability of a candidate to evaluate the trends in past situations and use them to solve new situations.
4. Next In Series
The next in series question type presents applicants with some images in a row. They are then expected to understand the pattern and use the understanding to find the missing image. This test type helps to know how well you can find weaknesses in situations and convert them to strengths.
What Is The Relevance Of Abstract Reasoning Tests?
An abstract reasoning test helps to ascertain the ability of an applicant to study situations, identify their recurring orders and fix the situations with their understanding. The abstract reasoning test, therefore, gives an employer insight into your observational skills, intelligence quotient, and ascertain if you can fill certain critical roles. Such roles may be the head of the marketing department, the developer of new products or entrepreneurs. These roles require individuals who have the abilities to observe trends, identify the rules driving these trends, and then use their observations to stay ahead of unforeseen situations as well as navigate their ways out of problems.
Tips For Solving Abstract Reasoning Tests
Picture sequences can be tricky and ruffling to even the calmest candidates. We understand the reasons for this fear and have put together some trusted tips that will steer your hands to ace your abstract reasoning test.
The first tip is to take an analytical view of the image. Consider the order, color, size, dimension, rotation, movement, and location of each shape.
In cases of difficulty, while solving, we advise that you begin from the end of the sequence.
Also, always put in mind the following:
1. Odd one Out presents you with separate images in an order that follows a specific pattern. All you have to do is figure out the images that do not go with the pattern.
2. Matrix presents a group of images in a single file. Each file adopts a specific rule or pattern. You are only expected to figure out this pattern and select the option that suits best.
3. Analogies provide you with two pairs of shapes that share a relationship. Your duty is to determine this relationship and implement it into one of the given answers.
4. Odd one Out provides you with several images following a particular order. You are to find the images that do not fit the pattern.
Passing Your Abstract Reasoning Tests
1. Practice: Abstract reasoning practice is a very necessary part of acing your abstract reasoning test. Gather past questions, obtain samples, identify the type of the test you’re to take, create a real exam environment, maintain a fixed time, strategize how to answers questions, hone your ability to answer questions faster, and learn to obtain answers before reviewing given options.
The main difference between successful and unsuccessful candidates is most often the level, consistency, and scope of preparations. Constant practice will help you identify your weaknesses and turn them into strengths. There are a lot of abstract reasoning test and answers that can be found online. When you practice regularly, you can measure your performance and improve on it with each new session.
2. Know all the necessary information on the test: We have mentioned earlier that the questions are of four types. It is important to gather all important information about these types and practice well with them. We have seen how to solve these question types. Other pieces of information should be obtained too. You can get in touch with the human resources manager of the organization and request for information. The key here is to be up to date.
3. Be wise with your use of time: This is obvious. You are advised to go through practice questions adopting the same timeframe that will be allowed during the actual test. Doing this will make you completely aware of your time and will, therefore, direct you on what to do and when to do. For the actual test, you should know the allotted time and make appropriate allocations of minutes to each question. If, for example, the test contains 20 questions to be solved in 20 minutes, then we advise the per minute rule.
Ace Your Test With Tailored Practice Packages
Tailored practice packages are 100% vital to acing your abstract reasoning test. These packages are expected to contain real-time abstract reasoning questions and answers, not the random ones that can be found for free on the internet.
Recently though, tailored practice packages have been underwhelming due to their influx on the internet. Well, not anymore. We offer essential abstract reasoning test questions and their complete answers. You can get your copy at an affordable fee.